Social media has become an essential tool for businesses of every size to engage with their audience, increase brand awareness, and drive sales. However, for small businesses with limited resources and budgets, creating an effective social media strategy can be a daunting task.
Today, we’ll explore some of the best practices and tips for small businesses to create a winning social media strategy that will make your business stand out in the crazy & crowded digital world.
If you run into trouble implementing these tips, give our social media marketing team a call today!
Identify Your Ideal Audience
Before you start creating content for social media, you need to know who your perfect audience is. Who are you trying to reach? What are their interests, pain points, and challenges? By identifying that ideal audience, you can tailor your social media content to be more appealing to them and boost engagement.
To achieve this, you can conduct market research, analyse your existing customer data, and use social media analytics tools to understand your audience’s demographics and behaviour on social media.
There are several cost-effective ways to identify your ideal audience:
Conduct Market Research
Conducting market research is a great way to identify your optimal audience. You can use online tools such as surveys, polls, and questionnaires to collect data from your potential customers.
- Use social media analytics: Each of the SM platforms e.g FB, Twitter and IG have analytical tools integrated into their service offering and these provide very helpful insights into your followers’ demographics and interests. You can use this data to tailor your content to your perfect audience.
- Analyse website traffic: Analysing your website traffic can help you understand who is visiting your website, where they are coming from, and what they are interested in. You can use tools like Google Analytics to get this data.
- Look at your competitors: Your competitors may have already identified your ideal audience. Analyse their marketing strategies and see who they are targeting.
- Attend events: Attending industry events and trade shows can help you connect with your ideal audience and understand their needs and interests.
By using these methods, you can identify your preferred audience without breaking the bank. Once you have identified that audience, you can create a social media strategy that speaks directly to them.
Choose The Right Social Media (SM) Platforms
Not all SM platforms are created equal, and each platform has its own strengths and weaknesses. It’s important to choose the right SM platforms that align with your business goals, preferred audience, and content strategy.
For example, if your preferred audience is primarily professionals and B2B customers, LinkedIn may be the right platform for you. If you’re targeting a younger audience, Instagram or TikTok may be more effective.
Read a thorough guide to SM platforms in our article The Top Social Media Platforms for Small Businesses in 2023, which will make your social media choices a lot easier.
Focus On Quality Content
Content is king, and creating high-quality, engaging content should be at the core of your social media strategy. Your content should be informative, entertaining, and visually appealing to capture the attention of your audience.
When creating content, it’s important to have a consistent brand voice and tone that reflects your business’s values and personality. Your content should also be tailored to each social media platform and take advantage of each platform’s unique features and formats.
Famous brands have successfully used quality content to create successful social media campaigns, resulting in increased brand awareness, engagement, and sales. These are some great examples:
- Coca-Cola’s “Share a Coke” campaign: This campaign turned out to be a huge success on social media and rallied and inspired people to share photos of Coke bottles with their names on them. The campaign generated over 500,000 photos shared on social media and increased sales by 2.5%. The campaign won the Grand Prix in the Social & Influencer category at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity in 2015.
- Old Spice’s “The Man Your Man Could Smell Like” campaign: This campaign was a viral hit on social media. The campaign featured a series of humorous videos that went viral, resulting in increased brand awareness and sales. The campaign won the Grand Prix in the Film category at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity in 2010.
- Nike’s “Breaking2” campaign: Nike’s “Breaking2” campaign was a social media success. The campaign was centred around the challenge of breaking the two-hour marathon barrier. Nike created a documentary-style video about the challenge, which generated over 13 million views on YouTube. The campaign won the Grand Prix in the Entertainment category at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity in 2018.
- Dove’s “Real Beauty Sketches” campaign: Dove’s “Real Beauty Sketches” campaign was a social media hit. The campaign featured a video that showed women describing their own appearance to a sketch artist and then had strangers describe the same women to the same sketch artist. The video went viral, resulting in increased brand awareness and sales. The campaign won the Grand Prix in the Film category at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity in 2013.
The importance of content quality is shown by the fact that the marketing industry awards marketing professionals for incredible quality. Here are some examples:
- Dove’s Ann Handley: Ann Handley is an author and marketing expert who has won several awards for her content marketing work. She was named one of the Top 50 Women in Content Marketing by the Content Marketing Institute and was inducted into the Marketing Hall of Fame in 2018.
- Jay Baer: Jay Baer is a marketing consultant and author who has won several awards for his content marketing work. He was named one of the Top 50 Social Media Power Influencers by Forbes and was inducted into the Word of Mouth Marketing Hall of Fame in 2014.
- Joe Pulizzi: Joe Pulizzi is a content marketing expert who has won several awards for his work. He was named one of the Top 50 Most Influential Content Marketing Strategists by the Content Marketing Institute and was inducted into the Content Marketing Hall of Fame in 2017.
These marketing professionals have been recognised for their outstanding contributions to the field of content marketing, demonstrating the power of quality content in driving business success.
Engage With Your Audience
Social media is not a one-way street, and engaging with your audience is key to building a strong brand presence on social media. Respond to comments and messages, share user-generated content, and participate in relevant social media conversations to foster a sense of community and loyalty among your audience.
It’s also important to track and measure your social media engagement benchmarks, for example:
It is also to watch and understand how your audience is interacting with your content and adjust your strategy accordingly.
Trends & Industry Benchmarks
Social media is constantly evolving, and keeping your finger on the pulse of the latest trends and industry benchmarks is crucial to maintaining a successful social media strategy. Follow social media thought leaders and industry experts, attend webinars and conferences, and regularly review your social media analytics to remain ahead of the curve.
Creating a winning social media strategy for small businesses requires a combination of research, planning, and execution. By identifying your ideal audience, choosing the right SM platforms, focusing on quality content, engaging with your audience, and staying up-to-date on trends and best practices, you can build a strong brand presence on social media and achieve your business goals.
We’ll share advice, the workload or build you a winning strategy. Start today!